Monday, July 5, 2010

Holiday Weekends

Another holiday weekend comes and goes.  We did a lot this weekend, in terms of working and celebrating.  We had decided to have a BBQ at the last minute, then we canceled it due to the fact that most everybody had plans, then decided to have it anyway, because some folks didn't have plans.  We were their plans!  We went shopping on Friday for food for the fete.  We even went to the gym. Not such a great idea because it was too hot to work out.  I did a half hour on the tread mill and waited for D to be done.  I DON'T like working out when it's hot!  We spent the rest of the evening relaxing in front of the tube.  Little did we know it was the last night for sleeping comfortably for a few days.
So D decided that we should stain the deck.  He's been talking about this since last summer when we built it.  We couldn't then, because it was pressure treated but it was ripe for a tan so we took a trip to Lowes.  We picked out two colors of stain that would make the deck look like a parquet floor and went home and worked.  I changed into my cut-offs and bikini top because I figured this would be my chance to get a tan.  I was right.  It took us about an hour and a half to finish the deck and I didn't realize it, but my back was finished too.  A bright lobster red.  It's a little painful but I'll be ok.
On the Fourth of July my mom and a couple we know and love came to our house for BBQ.  The food was great but the company was awesome! We had great conversations and everyone got along with everyone else.  It was totally a small gathering but it kept it cozy and no one was forgotten in the talk and eating of it all.  At the end of the evening I gave a tour of our gardens and sent everyone on their way.  We've got to do this again.
Which brings us to today.  I nearly finished the book I was reading, "The Almost Moon", and D stained the front entrance porch.  It was so hot that we decided to go to the river and jump in.  Totally worth it but we got burned again.  I know, sunscreen.  I must start carrying it with me.  After a totally sweaty weekend we went to the local corner store and got ice cream.  I got Moosetracks in a waffle cone.  There had to be a half gallon of ice cream.  I feel sick.  Next time I'm getting a slush puppy and I will reward myself with a happy belly. 
So that's my holiday weekend.  My body's sore, my mind is tired, and I don't want to go to work tomorrow.  I'd say it must have been a good weekend.  Stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment