Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh the Humanity!

The news this week disturbed me. It made me cringe and look into myself. Where did our "humanness" go?
The incident, which I'm sure you've heard about, was the good Samaritan rescuing a woman from an attacker, getting hurt himself, and then dying on a sidewalk while people passed by. One person even took a photo. From the surveillance camera view we see at least five or six people walk by. No one stops to see if he needs help. No one whips out a cell phone and dials 911.
Why? When did we become a nation under fear, not under God? Now, I'm not a bible thumper. I don't believe in the bible. I do, however, believe in a higher being, a bigger purpose. Don't most people want to aspire to be more? I thought we did. I know I want to be a good person. I want to try and help out where I can. I've been known to do so from time to time.
I'd like to think that if I saw this person lying in the street that I would call 911. I'd really like to think that I would kneel down and ask him if he was ok, but the news has scared the crap out of me in regards to predators, that I don't know if I would. That bothers me. A lot.
I'm pretty sure I would have made a call and waited there for help. What do we need to do to make us human again? What can we do to reach out to others in need? How do we open up so others follow suit? Is this what we need to do?
What do you suggest? How did you feel about that news piece? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

1 comment:

  1. I think our nation started to decline when it became cool to "don;t believe in the Bible" Just believing in a higher purpose is a cop out. Believe in something, believe in God. This from a "not a Bible thumper"

    ReplyDelete