Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring Dreamin'

I love the sound of the frogs in the evening. A friend of mine heard his frogs a couple weeks ago. He lives down state. It was still pretty cold here and I was lamenting because I hadn't seen one sign that spring was any closer. He told me, "You'll hear them in about two weeks, you're about that far behind us". I swear, it must've been two weeks to the day! They sounded so beautiful! Anyone who loves spring loves that sound! That first night I left my window open and fell asleep to their lullaby. I woke up the next morning with a stiff neck, but it was so worth it!
I've started my vegetable garden and have had to remove some of my plants from their little window greenhouse into bigger containers already. It's such an awesome feeling watching something grow that you researched, planted and watered. A couple tomatoes here and a pepper there and some brussel sprouts (which I am so excited about - this is my first try with them!). There is nothing like fresh veggies!
We've been keeping an eye on the birds too. We've got goldfinches back at the feeder and I'm hoping for an oriole this year. We had one two years ago, but it didn't return last year. I'm going to set out oranges and see if they stay. What a beautiful bird!
New flowers planted last year are popping out of the ground, the frogs have already set up residence in our small (very small) man made pond, and a shrub has been delivered by the seed company and is ready for planting. My to-do list is a mile long, but I'm loving it. The smell of fresh earth and the satisfaction of a full day of gardening is worth the winter wait.
Spring, you've arrived! So glad you came!

No comments:

Post a Comment